Dharamshala: In view of the need to contain the spread of the Wuhan-originated pandemic through means of social distancing and self-quarantine, the Government of Himachal Pradesh has ordered lockdown in Kangra district on Sunday with immediate effect.
Kangra Deputy Commissioner Rakesh Kumar Prajapati, via a press conference on Sunday, declared that the lockdown is being notified under Epidemic Disease Act, 1897.
He called upon the public to abide by the lockdown with the collective aim of combating the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“It is our collective responsibility that community transmission is prevented because it has been taken care of through this lockdown that no infection by outsiders is able to get through.”
As of now, there are only 2 primary cases in Kangra whose preliminary tests have confirmed positive. The final tests results of both the persons are still awaited from the National Institute of Virology, Pune.
He added that all efforts are being made for the suspected individuals in Kangra in terms of testing and preventive quarantine.
During the course of the lockdown, Hospitals, Chemist stores, Optical stores, Pharmaceutical and soap manufacturing units would remain open. Daily need items like grocery, petrol pumps and online delivery systems would operate while public transport mediums like trains, buses, flights would be suspended.
Those who wish to enter Kangra should have residential address proof and will be transported with government-provided means only. Army personnel are exempted from this curfew.
Responding to questions on platforms for latest updates on coronavirus affected data in the state, the DC assured that there is a control room from where the updates would be released and at 11 am and 5 pm, there would be press briefings.
Those who are involved in the transportation of essential items even from outside of the district for the residents of Kangra would be permitted entry, provided they have bills of their destination and where they came from after enquiry. Those who intend to return home, are coming in only through government-provided carriages. To ensure that due to the lockdown, no misuse of transport services.
He added that those who commute daily outside of Kangra should inform their employers of the inability to do so because of the lockdown. And those who enter Kangra will not be allowed to return again, because there are no facilities for such, except for government officials.
Medical workers are allowed to travel across border provided that they travel in groups of 4. Those who are travelling in vehicles should limit to 4 people under section 144.
The curfew will be imposed until further orders are issued.
- Shop or stores selling Groceries Milk Bread, Fruit, Vegetable, Meat Fish & other uncooked food items and their transportation-related activities and warehousing.
- Hospitals, Chemist stores, Optical stores, Pharmaceutical and soap manufacturing units and their ancillaries together with transportation-related activities.
- Petrol pump. LPG gas, Oil agencies. Their godowns and their transportation-related activities.
- E-commerce (delivery) of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals and medical equipments
- Production and Manufacturing units which require continuous process may continue to function, after obtaining required permission from the Deputy Commissioner and following all precautionary protocols as notified by Health Department from time to time.
- Units manufacturing alcohol for medicine/sanitizers subject to following all precautionary protocols as notified by the Health Department from time to time.
- Manufacturing units engaged in production of essential commodities. In this regard, the decision of Deputy Commissioner shall be final.