TERMS OF REFERENCE
Graphic Designer Consultant
(Department Of Information and International Relations)
The Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) was established in 1959 and is composed of 7 departments based in Dharamsala, India. It is the democratically elected governing institution of the Tibetan people. In addition to looking after the welfare of the Tibetan community in India/Nepal/Bhutan, the CTA’s political mandate is to support the aspirations of Tibetans inside Tibet. The external communications responsibility of this mandate is largely carried out by the Department of Information and International Relations (DIIR).
The priorities of the DIIR are:
- Drawing the international community’s attention to the current human rights situation inside Tibet and prompting specific actions;
- Development of compelling and engaging multi-platform communications;
- To implement CTA’s global communications strategy, including external communications with partners (e.g. Tibet Support Groups, Tibetan Associations, Settlement Officers, parliamentary committees for Tibet), stakeholders, and the media;
- Ensure clear and consistent communications about CTA and its mission with key audiences, including advocates and champions, the political and academic communities, NGOs (e.g. human rights, environmental, preferably with UN EcoSoc status), major multilateral organizations (e.g. UN, EU), government officials and policymakers (foreign affairs, international aid agencies), corporations, and the media (International, Tibetan, Chinese).
Consulting Project Requirements:
The Audio-Visual (AV) Section is one of the sections of the Department of Information and International Relations. The section responds to and delivers on all media requirements of the CTA. It covers all CTA official functions, as well as all of the formal visits of His Holiness the Dalai Lama around the world. Among its various functions the AV Section produces daily news bulletins, organizes panel discussions and conducts interviews. It creates documentary and short films related to the Central Tibetan Administration. The section also covers and provides live broadcast coverage of the sessions of the Tibetan Parliament-in-exile. DVDs are made of the parliamentary proceedings and are subsequently distributed free of cost to all the Tibetan settlements, schools, monasteries and Tibetan organizations.
The AV Section includes TibetTV (CTA’s WebTV), launched in August 2006 to cover and broadcast news, teachings, cultural programs, education on democracy and activities of the CTA, a news and documentary channel launched in November of 2009.
DIIR requires a digital graphic consultant for the Audio Visual Section and Tibet.net for the following:
- Manage and coordinate various graphic design projects;
- Work in close collaboration with staff to create coherent designs in compliance with DIIR requirements;
- Responsible for building, motivating and directing the production and strengthening TibetTV staff capacity for graphic design;
- Ensure timely completion of projects;
- Accept other assignments as deemed necessary by DIIR.
Consulting Project Objectives:
- Increase TibetTV’s reach of domestic and global audiences with improved visual presentations.
- Build staff capacity to work with Adobe PhotoShop, CorelDraw and some animation application for their daily work.
- Production of promotional materials for TibetTV (banner, posters, stickers etc.), montage and backdrop for the news and panel discussion, chart and graphics for TibetTV and its website.
- Tibet.net – Statistic charts, icons and graphics for news and website interface.
- Graphic Design for CTA posters, banner and promotional items.
- Strong creative ability.
- Minimum undergraduate degree with minimum 1 year course specialization in graphic design.
- Minimum one year experience in graphic design.
- Familiarity with print production and preparation.
- Good verbal communication skills in Tibetan and English.
- Good sketching skills.
- Strong command of Adobe Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator, CorelDraw and any animation application.
Duration: One Year
Date: 1st April, 2015 to 31st March, 2016
Working Day and time: As per DIIR regular office hours
Leave: With one day prior notice to [email protected] Monthly fee will be deducted as per number of leaves taken.
Location: Audio Visual Section, Department of Information and International Relations (DIIR), Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), Dharamshala
Equipment and Facilities
No equipment will be purchased or provided by DIIR. DIIR will provide the necessary on-site training facilities and equipment for trainees. Any expenses, unless explicitly articulated by CTA will be incurred by the consultant.
Remuneration and Payment Schedule
Payment of INR 30,000/- on a monthly basis
Submission of Offer of Service
Interested parties are invited to submit a proposal with CV and portfolio via email to [email protected] by 5th January, 2015. Email SUBJECT line should read “TibetTV Digital Graphic Consultant”.
Please provide the names of three prior clients with contact information details.