Dharamshala: In a press conference held on 21 August 2020, the Election Commission had issued the following guidelines regarding the voter registration for 2021 General Elections of Sikyong and members of the 17th Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile:
- All those who fulfill the conditions laid down in Article 18 (4) are eligible to vote.
- As per Article 18 (a) and (b) of election rules and regulations, after examining the Green Book payment details of all those who have attained the age of 18, the Registration Officer shall then register them as per their constituency, stamp their Green Book with a registration number beginning from a single digit 1 and signed by the Registration Officer.
- Voter’s registration shall begin on 1st September 2020 and must conclude by 15th October 2020.
- As per the provisions of Article 18 (4), any Tibetan citizen who completed 18 years of age on 31st October 2020 are eligible to register. However, those who fall under the category of people specified in Article 18 (5) are disqualified from voter registration.
- All registered voters as per law must have paid their Green Book dues up to 31st March 2020.
- Since voter registration is extremely important, we urge all Tibetan people who are eligible to vote to kindly register within the given time.
Taking into account the challenging circumstances brought upon by the Wuhan-originated pandemic as well as in order to ensure full democratic participation in the upcoming general elections, the Election Commission today issued the following new guidelines.
As per recommendations made by a majority of the local ECs at a recent workshop with regard to a new window-period for registration from 23 to 28 December in the view to ensure full voter participation, the EC announced the same to the effect that all the concerned bodies should observe the latest guideline.
Thirdly, anyone who has since attained the age of 18 years is eligible to register to vote, from the above-listed date to January 2, 2021, as per the provisions of Article 18 (3) (c) under the Election Commission regulations.
As a result of the successful registration conducted by 58 local Tibetan ECs across 26 countries from 1 September – 15 October and then from 15 – 30 October, the total number of registered voters for the upcoming 2021 Sikyong and Parliamentary elections stands at 79,697 including 55,683 from India and 24,014 abroad.
In case of discrepancies, treat the Tibetan version as final and authoritative.