January 14, 2015
Published By Tashi
Mr. Karma Rinchen, Additional-Secretary of the Department of Security, speaking to the press about the suspicious object found near Lingkor in Mcleod Ganj, 14 January 2015.

Mr. Karma Rinchen, Additional-Secretary of the Department of Security, speaking to the press about the suspicious object found near Lingkor in Mcleod Ganj, 14 January 2015.

DHARAMSHALA: The Department of Security, Central Tibetan Administration today explained that the suspicious object found near Lingkor (the path where Tibetans and devotees circumambulate Tsuklakhang) was not an explosive device, and urged the public to remain calm.

Speaking to media persons this morning, Mr. Karma Rinchen, Additional-Secretary at the Security Department explained: “There was a post being circulated on social media which says an explosive device had been found near Lingkor in Mcleod Ganj on 13 January. Some news sites have also reported about it.”

“At first glance, the object does look suspicious. Therefore, we handed over the object to the relevant authorities in the local Indian administration. Taking the issue very seriously, the local police called a professional bomb squad to analyse the object,” he said.

“After a full day of analysis, the bomb experts informed us that the object was not an explosive device.”

Emphasising the sensitivity of such matters, Mr. Karma Rinchen urged the public to remain calm and refrain from posting on social media without coming to a verified conclusion. “I urge the public to refrain from posting such things on social media without a proper investigation. It is understandable if such things are posted after careful verification. However, such unsubstantiated posts can create panic in the community. It may also create legal problems for the individual himself,” he explained.

“As for the object, it is nothing but trash. So, remain calm and don’t panic,” he said.

 

Share with your friends










Submit