May 28, 2011
   Posted in News Flash
Published By Tashi

Tibetan political prisoner dies after spending 15 years in prison[Saturday, 28 May 2011, 5:22 p.m.]

Jampa Pelsang alias Puloe, a monk of Gaden Monastery, died recently after he was released from 15 years in prisonDHARAMSHALA:
Jampa succumbed to grievous injuries that he sustained during severe
torture and inhuman treatment in Drapchi and Chushul prison after he
was sentenced to 15 years in 1996.He was first arrested at the
height of a crackdown as a prelude to severe imposition of patriotic
re-education on the three main monasteries – Sera, Gaden and Drepung –
in 1996.On 6 May 1996, the religious affairs department of
Tibet Autonomous Region sent an additional work team to Gaden Monastery
and told the monastery that the Central government had orders to stop
the ongoing religious debate of the monks. The work team
forced patriotic re-education on the monks, which involved coercing the
monks to remove His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s portrait from the
monastery.However the whole work team had to abandon its work
and leave the monastery after the monks defied its order with
spontaneous protest. This prompted the Chinese government to
deploy military forces at the monastery and used force to arrest monks.
In the crackdown, two monks, Dorjee and Gelek Jinpa, were shot. Many
monks were arrested and removed from the monastery in the repression
from 6  – 7 May 1996.Jampa Pelsang was among those monks who
were arrested for allegedly leading the protest. He was sentenced to 15
years in jail, while many others received varying prison terms.He was sent to Drapchi and Chushul prison, where the Chinese authorities severely tortured him to the brink of death.Even
though Jampa was finally released on 6 May this year,  he died 17 days
later after every possible medication failed to recover him.He was born in Drigung Lungshoe in Meldro Gungkar and started monastic education at an early age in Gaden Monastery.Like
Jampa, another monk of Gaden Monastery named Tenzin Yeshi, who was
arrested during the patriotic education in 1996, also died after
release from the prison.Lobsang Wangchuk, who was sentenced to
10 years in Drapchi prison, where he protested against the authorities,
who later shot him dead.

Share with your friends