June 23, 2009
   Posted in News Flash
Published By Tashi

Protests over China’s mining project in Tibet, 3 Tibetans seriously injuredMonday, 23 June 2009, 12:40 p.m.

Dharamshala: At
least 3 Tibetans were seriously wounded after clashes broke over
attempts by Chinese authorities to divert the Gyama river to a mining
site, blocking irrigation water for the residents of Gyama township in
Meldro Gungkar county near Lhasa. The incident took place on 20 June,
sources said.One of the seriously injured person, who was
denied admission by a county hospital, has been referred to another
hospital in Lhasa and it is not known whether he is dead or alive.The
sources attribute the incident to mining project started by the Chinese
government in Gyama County in 1990, for which a large number of Chinese
miners have been sent to the area.Recently, the Tibetan
residents approached the local government protesting the diversion of
Gyama river, which is used for irrigation, to a mining site. As the
authorities refused to consider their appeal, the residents clashed
with a group of Chinese miners on 20 June.Following the
incident, two or three Tibetans representing each family from the
thirteen farming communities, protested in front of the local
government office. Subsequently, the government of the Tibet
Autonomous Region dispatched a group senior authorities, head of the
county, staff members and some security forces to the region on 21
June. The authorities summoned the local residents for a meeting during
which the angry residents cried and demanded an end to the mining
activities.The residents strongly criticised the government for
its refusal to stop the mining project, which resulted in deaths of
more than 1000 domestic and wild animals, and drying up of pastures and
poisoning of drinking water caused by toxic waste.The residents
said if the mining project is not halted, either they would move to
another area to live or if they are allowed to do so, then they want
all the miners to move out. After hours of intense discussion, a large
number of Chinese mining team along with security forces left the area
on 21 June. The protest in front of the government office continued
till next day.

Share with your friends