TAWANG: His Holiness the Dalai Lama arrived in Tawang this evening and set foot at the historic Tawang monastery . The Tawang monastery, known in Tibetan as Gaden Namgyal Lhatse, was founded by Merak Lama Lodre Gyatso in 1680-1681 in accordance with the wishes of the 5th Dalai Lama, Ngawang Lobsang Gyatso.
As His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s motorcade entered the borders of Tawang district, people lined up the narrow streets with flowers and Khatags in hand to welcome him. As His Holiness reached Sela pass, the entry point into Tawang, His Holiness was greeted by Mr Tsering Tashi, Tawang MLA, Sang Phuntsok, DC of Tawang, Jambey Tashi, MLA Lumla as well as representatives from Tawang monastery.
His Holiness rested at the pass,for about 15 minutes for tea at a small cafeteria. From there, he visited Sangdok Palri, a small Kagyu monastery where His Holiness enjoyed a sumptuous meal.
From Sangdok Palri, His Holiness the Dalai Lama left for Tawang monastery through Lahua, Khirmu, Kitpi, Bomdir, Namit, Kyaplang, Gyangkarzong, Linpar dong and Tsangporong.
Over ten thousand devotees who have gathered in traditional attires to welcome him with incense and flowers shed tears of joy in seeing their ‘Living God.’