Press Advisory, 7 September, 2015, Office of Tibet, London
London, 7th September 2015 – His Holiness the Dalai Lama is to give a talk at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday 19 September, organised by the Tibet House Trust, which will be the main event of a 9-day visit to the UK. His Holiness will also be visiting Oxford and Cambridge to participate in a series of events with scholars, scientists, students and school children, hosted by Lord Rowan Williams at Cambridge. He will participate in a talk on how to create a better world with Action for Happiness in London.
Chonpel Tsering, Representative of the Dalai Lama in Northern Europe, said: “This is the second major visit by His Holiness to the UK in the Dalai Lama’s 80th birthday year. It brings together all of his core commitments – his focus on compassion; promotion of harmony among the world’s major religious traditions and the preservation of Tibet’s peaceful Buddhist culture. His interaction with leading thinkers at Oxford and Cambridge highlights His Holiness’ ground-breaking collaboration with scientists and scholars, while his dialogues with young people will inspire a new generation and begin an important conversation about the importance of training in compassion in education.”
The major events of the Dalai Lama’s UK itinerary are as follows:
- The O2 Arena, London, 19 September, 1 pm: The Dalai Lama’s talk, entitled Compassion: the Foundation of Well-Being, will be followed by a Q&A session chaired by psychologist and ‘emotional intelligence’ expert Daniel Goleman. Press accreditation contact: Michelle Klepper, email@example.com , www.dalailama2015.uk/
- Press conference, Oxford, 14 September: The only press meeting of the visit. For accreditation and details: Michelle Klepper, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Action for Happiness Conference, London, 21 September (World Peace Day): The Dalai Lama will join a discussion with other eminent speakers on how to create a happier and more caring world. Dr Mark Williamson, Director of Action for Happiness, said: “Action for Happiness is honoured to have its Patron, His Holiness The Dalai Lama, with us for a special event about creating a happier world, with leading experts in economics, education, neuroscience and altruism. Our movement is encouraging many tens of thousands of people, from all walks of life, to put His Holiness’ universal ideas about happiness, compassion and ethical living into practice in their daily lives.” http://www.actionforhappiness.org/dalai-lama-event, #happierworld
- Private meeting with the new Dalai Lama Centre for Compassion, Oxford, 14 September: The aim of the centre, inspired by the Dalai Lama’s vision of compassion as a foundation for ethics, is to advance understanding of fundamental human values.
- Cambridge, 16-17 September: The Dalai Lama and Lord Rowan Williams will lead a private two-day symposium at Cambridge University bringing together scientists, writers, businesspeople, philosophers, young people and others. Lord Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury, said: “Our hope is that it will be a genuine conversation around what resources we need to shape humane, compassionate, intelligent responses to the various crises that confront us today. We have devised this event to give the fullest possible opportunity for younger people to join the conversation, and we hope that one outcome will be a continuing engagement between the more senior voices here and the insights and challenges of another generation.”
- Westminster, London: His Holiness the Dalai Lama will also meet with Parliamentarians in a meeting convened by the All Party Parliamentary Group for Tibet. The Parliamentary Group is chaired by Fabian Hamilton MP, who has led two major debates on Tibet in Parliament.
The Office of Tibet, London
Tel: 020 7722 5378
Mobile: 07983 679207