July 21, 2011
   Posted in News Flash
Published By Tashi

DHARAMSHALA: The Chinese government has handed down a sentence of three-year imprisonment against two monks of Kirti monastery who on 21 April this year rallied round fellow monks to stop the Chinese police from arresting over 300 monks during a raid at the monastery.

Two elderly Tibetans were beaten to death by the police as they resisted the mass arrest of monks at Kirti Monastery on the night of 21 April. The monastery at that time was placed under military blockade after Phuntsog, a 21-year-old monk, self-immolated on 16 March in protest against the Chinese government’s brutal crackdown on the peaceful Tibetan protesters which shook Tibet in 2008.

The two monks, Lobsang Khedup and Lobsang Gyatso, were sentenced to three years imprisonment term each on 15 July 2011, reported the Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy, a human rights watch dog based in Dharamsala.

“The charges against both also remain unclear at the time though the reason that led to their arrest is apparent. On 21 April 2011, when the Chinese police arrested a large number of monks from the monastery, these two monks, along with many other monks, assembled in the monastery requesting not to arrest the monks or else arrest them too,” TCHRD said.

“Both monks remained incommunicado for nearly two months and no information was known, except it was heard that they both were somewhere in Moawan County,” it said.

They are now locked up in a prison in Mein-Yang area in China’s Sichuan Province, it said.

Lobsang Khedup, aged around 36, was arrested on 4 May 2011 from Kirti Monastery. Son of Thoelee (father), he belongs to Thoelee-Tsang (home) and hails from Lower Chookleh Village, Ngaba. He began his study at the Kirti Monastery at an early age, after being ordained and has attained high level of Buddhist studies. While continuing with his studies, he also tutors younger students at the monastery.

Lobsang Gyatso (39) is from Upper Chookleh Village, Ngaba, and is son of Gyakyap (father). He was arrested on 9 May 2011.

Share with your friends